Toad Head Agamas are fairly new to the reptile pet industry, but they are currently exploding in popularity. These lizards are very interesting and make super cool pets. In this blog, we decided we’d mention five things we really love about them.
1. Toad Head Agamas are unique in appearance. Not only do they have flaps on the sides of their heads that open up and create a Predator-esque mouth, but these lizards also look quirky when those flaps are relaxed. Their pug noses and eye ridges give them sort of a sleepy bulldog face and we’re definitely digging it. They’ve also got some crazy-long fingers and toes. They use them to dig, burrow, and shimmy into the sand.
2. They have very friendly dispositions. When we handled our agamas for our photo shoot, these guys were calm, collected, and super chill. They definitely don’t mind being handled and their demeanor reminded us of bearded dragons – just so laid back.
3. They have little black “bibs” at their neck. These agamas are true gentleman and the black bow ties or bibs underneath their necks prove it! Oh, and did we mention what sweet, gentle temperaments these guys have? 🙂
4. Toad Head Agamas grow to a very manageable size. In general, these guys won’t grow to exceed twelve inches, which means their enclosures also need not be excessively large. A 20 gallon terrarium should suffice. The ones pictured in the blog photos are medium-sized animals and are approximately seven inches long.
5. Feeding time is fun! Like bearded dragons, Toad Head Agamas are pretty much always down to eat. They are insectivores and will consume everything from crickets to roaches readily. Just make sure to vary their diet and they’ll happily chow down.
Backwater Reptiles has Toad Head Agamas for sale. These lizards are selling out fast though, so be sure to snag yours before they’re gone!